Lucedale was founded in 1901 when Governor A. H. Longino affixed his hand and seal to the proclamation, which incorporated the Town of Lucedale. At that time, there were 332 inhabitants.
According to the 1970 Census, Lucedale grew to a population of 2,083. This population increase caused the Town of Lucedale to fall within the classification of “City”. On February 22, 1977, the Secretary of State, Hever Ladner signed the official order declaring the town as the “City of Lucedale.” Our community continues to grow while retaining its small town charm. The 2000 Census placed the population of Lucedale at 2,458 citizens.
The first official meeting of the Board of Aldermen was a special called meeting held on June 20, 1901. The first Ordinance adopted was to establish a permanent meeting place of the Board, which was on the lower floor of the only bank building in town at that time. Since that time, Lucedale has purchased and constructed a City Hall. All meetings are held at this location: 5126 Main Street, Lucedale, MS. Lucedale’s first Post Office was built in 1899.
When the town was incorporated in 1901, Dr. W.B. Brewton became the town’s first Mayor. Lucedale serves as the county seat and is the only municipality in George County.
Lucedale is located approximately 40 miles northwest of Mobile, 60 miles southeast of Hattiesburg, and 35 miles north of Pascagoula. The city’s central location in Southeast Mississippi with convenient access to regional airports and several metropolitan areas. Enjoy the comfort of small town living with the nearby amenities and cultural wealth of New Orleans, Louisiana (2 hours) and Mobile, Alabama (45 minutes).
No positions are currently available.
The City of Lucedale is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider applications for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, marital or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.